Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Sweet Smells of Spring



You know how some scents remind you of something, someone, somewhere, or even some time in your life?  Smelling cheap Stetson cologne reminds me of the teenage boys from my youth.  The odorous combination of fried food and diesel fuel makes me think of when I lived in England.  And the sweet, old-fashioned smell of lilacs reminds me of playing outside with my friends when I was kid growing up in Iowa.  I could smell these lilacs from my kitchen this morning.  My husband planted three bushes a few years ago in the far corner of our back garden.  I clipped this little bunch and smiled thinking of those playful times so many years ago.  

It wasn't easy going back to work after getting back from my Gulf Coast vacation.  Besides working at my day (I actually work nights) job, I have managed to finish my Blueberry Hill Bali Pops quilt top!  It actually came together rather quickly.  I chose the strips for each block randomly, however I was sure not to place like pieces next to each other.  

Blueberry Hill Pattern      Bali Pops in Watermelon Fabric

I hung it horizontally so I could take a better photo.  It measures 56" X 68."  I'm going to use the same fabric for the backing as used for the borders, which, I think, ties all the colors together a bit better.  I've got the batting and am ready to start quilting!  I know I said I wouldn't quilt my next quilt myself, but I think I can handle this size.  I am thinking about "stippling."  What do you think? 

I've got another project in the works as well.  I'm still in the planning stages of a wall hanging.  I want to do a  nautical themed art quilt to hang above a small antique dresser at the top of the stairs in my house.  I bought two "jellyfish" art glass pieces down on the coast and I've placed these, as well as a few other reminders of the trip on this dresser.

Boring wall above dresser

Aren't they cool?

Keeping the tentacles of the jelly fish in mind, I plan to transfer an octopus image onto fabric for the center.   I found this awesome octopus at The Graphics Fairy.



I'm still working on design, but I will most likely go with half square triangles.  I've chosen blue and cream for the main colors and have purchased my fabric, including this ticking remnant I found at JoAnn's for $5.00.


I'm also planning on getting some bags done for my nearly bare Etsy shop and also make myself a case for my new iPad!  Busy busy!

Tootles!
Blog Signature Pin It

8 comments:

AM Zafaran said...

I enjoyed reading about your new project, really LOVED those sea art glass pieces and, the quilt colors are very vibrant and energetic.
Great visiting you!

Corrine said...

Back to busy busy I see, good for you. Missing your fun bags! xox

Sammy said...

Hi Angela, how are you. Long time no talk LOL. How you doing girl?? well I know, you missed me too :) I love your projects , they are beautiful. I really love the quilt, Take care, and talk to you soon.
Samya :)

Cyndi said...

Hey Angela! I have no idea how I missed this post! Your lilacs are so pretty. All the bushes around here are fully in bloom...except mine. It's got blooms, they just haven't opened yet!

Oh my gosh, your quilt turned out fabulous! I am not a huge fan of batiks, but those look amazing in your quilt. Can't wait to see how you quilt it up.

And...those little jelly fish things are pretty cool...I think your design is going to be amazing!

Chat soon!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Linda said...

Your quilt topper looks great! The colors are wonderful...and I can't wait to see what you come up with on the other one...I'm intrigued!I love lilacs too...I have one purple one here in the yard that is a native California plant...it bloomed too early this year though!Have a great day!!

Unknown said...

air max, longchamp, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, cheap oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, nike free, tiffany jewelry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, prada handbags, michael kors, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, longchamp pas cher, tory burch outlet, sac longchamp, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, christian louboutin outlet, prada outlet, louboutin shoes, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, nike roshe run, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, ugg boots

Unknown said...

michael kors outlet, north face, hogan, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, mulberry, burberry outlet online, hollister, michael kors outlet, air force, kate spade handbags, true religion jeans, ugg boots, vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, ralph lauren uk, oakley pas cher, coach outlet, sac guess, vans pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, lacoste pas cher, north face, lululemon, true religion jeans, michael kors, burberry, nike air max, michael kors outlet, coach purses, coach outlet, timberland, nike air max, michael kors, ray ban uk, ugg boots, nike free run uk, nike blazer, nike roshe, nike air max, michael kors, new balance pas cher, michael kors outlet, hermes, hollister pas cher

Unknown said...

ugg pas cher, moncler, moncler, canada goose, pandora charms, hollister, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doudoune canada goose, ugg boots uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, pandora charms, karen millen, canada goose outlet, moncler, bottes ugg, juicy couture outlet, replica watches, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, swarovski, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, moncler, wedding dresses, canada goose, moncler, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, links of london, louis vuitton, coach outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet